Wanderfrog

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Dying at Christmas


Sassy the family dog, diagnosed with lymphoma in September is off the initial chemo treatment when it was found that the dog was not responding to treatment. Three weeks ago Sassy was given 2 to 8 weeks to live. The average for dogs with a resistance to chemo treatment.

Christmas is approaching and I view it with sadness as I see my little friend with no change in her mental outlook, except for being a little confused as to why she is a bit more tired than before and needs lots of naps during the day. Long walks are out of the question now, just shorter walks from the 3 mile walks she used to take.

Her coloring is fading a bit, not as pronounced as before, still a pretty dog, but fading. My understanding that she will die in a few short weeks or hopefully, months, saddens me. I don't plan on getting another dog. This is to be my second heartbreak of losing a beloved pet. As I age, it becomes harder to lose a pet, especially one that is in the prime years of her life, just 5 years old.

Sassy is a Shetland Sheepdog, a California dog, born of Sheltie parents in Orange, California. She isn't from a line of champion dogs, although she is a purebred sheltie. She doesn't herd, however, we tried that. She just likes walks, hugs, and dog biscuits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home