Wanderfrog

Friday, December 23, 2005

Bicyle riding and blocked Sidewalks

Today I decided to exercise a bit, planning to bike around the neighborhood and not going more than 5 miles. This easy 30 minute jaunt ended within 3 minutes when I took a corner out of a neighborhood passageway between two streets and slammed to a halt with a pickup truck parked blocking the sidewalk and protruding a good 6 feet on to the street.

Stopping quickly wasn't a problem since I was going very slowly since there are little kids skateboarding and biking around. What I didn't expect was the truck perpendicular to the sidewalk with the entire bed of the truck out on the street. I couldn't get around the truck so I stopped, and as I attempted to straddle the bike, my left foot stepped over the curb and with ten inches or so curb height, I fell over and flipped the bike in the air. I landed on my side and hit my hips on the curb and head on the street.

I regret not having the bike slam into the truck since the bike was damaged enough that I couldn't ride it and walked it home. I was seriously thinking of walking back to the truck with my 6 lb sledge hammer to leave a few clues for the owner to realize that he was blocking the sidewalk. I was too bruised to walk back so I took the bike to the repair shop so to get it back sometime next week.

I was thinking that there oughta be a law, when it occured to me that there IS a law about blocking sidewalks. So I may not have to use the hammer, rather, file a complaint.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home